Friday 8 February 2013

The world is full of nominal Christians-but how many are Christians in deed? The Bible makes it clear that mere belief is not enough.
A United States Senator recently quoted a very moving, yet indicting poem, "Listen Christian!" (by Bob Rowland), which reads as follows:

I was hungry,
and you formed a humanities club
and discussed my hunger.
Thank you.
I was imprisoned
and you crept off quietly
to your chapel in the cellar
and prayed for my release.
I was naked
and in your mind
you debated the morality of
my appearance.
I was sick
and you knelt
and thanked God
for your health.
I was homeless
and you preached to me
about the spiritual shelter
of the love of God.
I was lonely
and you left me alone
to pray for me.
Christian,
you seem so holy;
so close to God.
But I am still very hungry,
and lonely,
and cold...

This poignant poem is an obvious modification of the words of Jesus Himself as recorded in Mat_25:35-36: "For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me. I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me. I was in prison and you came to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment